Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Got Advice?

A Grandma-to-be's Blog

I am so excited to be a grandma I can't stand it! Problem is...I'm sworn to secrecy. For reasons I truly respect, my daughter has asked me to keep this quiet for just a little while. She's very early in her pregnancy and wishes to wait before shouting from the rooftops. One of the reasons she shared it with me now is so I could begin praying for her unborn child, my grandchild. I am both filled with honor and pride to do this for them both.

I love talking to my daughter. She's so intelligent and insightful on so many levels. But I really love talking to her now...now that she's pregnant. You see my daughter has had a lot more experiences in life than I had. I was married practically right out of high school. She waited until after college. I don't have a college education, I haven't traveled nearly as much as she has. She's social and refined and exhumes self confidence. I on the other hand, am more reserved and self conscience about myself. She can be the life of the party and I love to observe the people at the party. However, on this topic of pregnancy, I am the more experienced one. I've had 3 children. I've raised 3 very social, wonderfully talented, and I might add beautiful babies into adulthood.. So yesterday, when she wrote an e-mail asking about something specifically pregnancy related....I was able to quickly write back my advice...and it was good!

I am going to enjoy my daughter's pregnancy. Not in a glad it's you and not me way, but in a reliving the experience kind of way. It's been 26 years since I was last pregnant and I know science and technology have come a long way since then. But the basics of being a pregnant woman haven't changed through the ages. The anticipation, the anxiousness, the sleepless nights, that first feeling of movement. Heartburn and swollen feet, choosing the perfect name. The endless trips to the bathroom. Guessing hair and eye color. These are things I know. These are things I remember. These are things I will love sharing.

Father in Heaven...in your infinite wisdom you created the miracle of birth. The beauty of seeing a mother hold her brand new baby in her arms, must bring you the ultimate joy. Watching the love between a mother and child blossom, practically at the moment of conception Lord, must be the most beautiful sight in your eyes. I know for me, watching my daughter hold her brand new baby, will give me a little glimpse of what life must be like for you. Thank you for blessing me with this gift. In your sons name I pray.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dawn just remember the traits you admire so much in you daughter, you were a big part (influence) of putting in her character. Mike (Brother/Uncle)

Anonymous said...

Hey Dawn!
I love that you're going to be a grandma. Yippee!!!! And as for the comments regarding your socialization reticence, all I can say is that someone had to model it for those three socialites you call kids of yours.

Dave, the kids, and I will have to drive a few hours down to visit the fam when you all are gathered in Nashville sometime.

Best wishes to Alyson & Mike (aka. Superman, "the real one," according to my kids as they recall from their younger days).

Kristin Miller