Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Only Thing Constant is Change. Mother's Day 2006

Change. It's an interesting word. Two definitions come to mind. Change; as in what might be in your coin purse or pants pocket or Change; the exchange of one thing for another. This Mother's Day there is a change that's taking place in my life and it's more the latter definition. This year I'm an expectant grandma. In my earlier posts I describe it as the best news ever! And that hasn't changed, but quite honestly since that great news has been shared with me, my life is in a constant state of change. Last week our house went up for sale and within 6 days it sold. Praise God, because we desperately needed to move, however given the current market, the six day sale caught us off guard. So all day Saturday was spent apartment hunting. One of the changes that's occuring in my life is trying to decide what to do next. We're not quite at retirement age, but it's certainly not very far away. How far do we downsize? Do we need a yard for family parties and gatherings or do we simply allow the shift to occur and let our kids take those things on? Lots of "change" to be thinking about.
In addition to the change in location of our home and what that might look like, my body is going through a change and it's not what I expected. I'm 51 years old and I'm going through "The Change". That time in a woman's life that we always felt was far off in the future. The night sweats, the hot flashes, the sleepless nights....hit me like a ton of bricks. "I'm too young!", I think, but oh reality can be cruel. My daughter sends me weekly e-updates on her pregnancy. In a recent update the article explained some of the changes my pregnant daughter might be experiencing. It read: "If dramatic mood swings leave you feeling like a soap-opera actress this week, you're not alone. Hormonal fluctuations are giving your emotions the yo-yo treatment right now. One minute you're ripping into your mate for leaving the toilet seat up, and the next you're weeping over a telephone company commercial." When I read that I thought; Funny how life goes full circle. This is exactly how I'm feeling as I go through "the change". Life can be cruel! On a happier note...did I tell you I'm going to be a grandma?!!!!

Father God, I am continually amazed at how well thought out life is. The intricate details and obvious miracles that are a part of creating life are at the same time, similar to the intricate details and miracles of the body as it ages. As I wonder why Father, I will trust in your wisdom. Father, as much as I can detest growing older, I am so grateful for this body you have given me. Lord, help me to continue to be good to my body. Help me to not take it for granted. Help me to be healthy enough to give my granchild pony rides and love every minute of it! I pray God that I will honor you by honoring myself and my body. Help me to not be so critical and to appreciate what I have and not wish forever for something I don't. I will trust in your infinite wisdom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous, I can't wait to read more! I am SO with you on THE CHANGE..... I don't have the Night sweats, or hot flashes but MAN I can bite Tony's head off for almost nothing at all (but to me it's something huge) reality is.... probably not so! ugghhh I don't like it! Thanks for the prayers at the end, I truly read them as prayers for myself as well and it helps! I love you! Grandma's Together! Beth