Friday, June 16, 2006

A Few of My Favorite Things

"Rain drops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm, woolen mittens". These are a few of "My Favorite Things". I love that song! It makes me happy. This morning I awoke to birds singing in nearby trees. Now most of you might say, "OK, so what?" What you might not realize is, we just moved off of the 3rd turn of the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Not literally obviously, but the street on the side of our house, sure made it seem that way. The noise as the cars and busses went by was constant and loud. We couldn't leave our doors and windows open because the sounds of traffic would drown out conversation as well as the television. So to actually hear birds sing their morning praises to God, was a beautiful sound to me! I pray that by the end of today I will remember the beautiful way my morning began.

It's been a rough couple of days. Our house (on the speedway) was sold a little over a month ago and we've moved into (the quiet) apartment. What is so rough about that? The house still hasn't closed and there appears to be potential problems with our buyers obtaining a loan. We're hoping by today we'll have some news as to the direction we'll be going. We know we won't be moving back, but we'll be discussing the possibility of putting our home back on the market. Pray for us...this is NOT one of "My Favorite Things".

I got a call yesterday from a dear, elderly lady in our church. Her husband has been placed in a nursing home and it won't be too long before he's called home to be with Jesus. Mary, knows this to be true and the peace she has was so contagious. After talking to her and hearing the contentment in her voice, I knew the stressful situation I thought I was in, didn't compare to hers. Yet she was at peace. Lord, how come I get it wrong more times than I get it right?

Another favorite thing of mine are fireflies, or lightning bugs for you Southerners! I saw my first firefly last summer (I was 51)when we went to visit our daughter in Nashville. I remember I squealed with delight! I don't know their ecological value to the planet, but to me, they make me happy! I can't wait for my next trip south...Did I tell you I'm going to be a Grandma? That is one of my favorite things and that makes me happy!

Father God, Creator of the Universe, I stand before you in awe at the world You created for us to enjoy. Lord forgive me for taking each day for granted. For acting like it's mine to do with what I please. Thank you for your grace and your mercy and I beg for your forgiveness. Father, to be given the honor of becoming someone's grandma, is for me, a dream come true. I loved being a parent, although at times I know I didn't do it well. But with your help Lord, I will be the best grandma my little, beloved grandchild could ever want. I promise he or she will know you by name. With your help and guidance he or she will come to know you as their friend and Savior. We give you all the honor and praises forever! Amen

2 comments:

The Gilles Family said...

Mom, Fireflies will forever remind me of you! I wish I could send you some, to get you through the stress of the house stuff. I love you so much!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom! I love you! You're one of MY favorite things! :) (PS, I'm checking to see if the comments work!:)